Username: Password:
Social Media Guidelines
  • Page:

TOPIC: OCC Social Media Guidelines

OCC Social Media Guidelines 2 months 1 day ago #3634

• Tonygooch
  • Tonygooch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
The February 15, 2017 meeting of the General Committee approved the following Guideline to members posting about other members on their personal blog sites and other social media. Although these Guidelines also apply to postings to the Club’s Forum, Facebook and other social media, the Club’s Social Media are moderated by an appointed member who will delete postings deemed to be in appropriate or offensive.

Social Media Guideline

A growing number of OCC members maintain Facebook Pages, Blog sites and other social media to record their adventures. Social media is a wonderful way to share the cruising life and interact with other members. However, we should all be careful what we say on social media about other OCC cruisers and their adventures and, particularly their misadventures.

Some Clubs have a Code of Social Media Conduct for members to follow in their postings about other members. For the OCC, perhaps this old adage is appropriate:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Tony Gooch,
Chairman, Membership Committee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

OCC Social Media Guidelines 1 month 3 weeks ago #3647

• bobhazell
  • Thank you received: 1
Tony, we feel that the Committee grossly underestimates the severity of the situation regarding social media. The following was sent by an OCC member, to another member, regarding our experiences :

“I haven't been able to read the FF article about Pipistrelle yet but after spending quite a bit of time with Bob and Elaine in Simon's Town during the probably most toxic time when the main offenders were all in the marina together I can well imagine what the article was about and empathise with them. The stuff that was going around was truly poisonous. I was shown an email sent to B&E in response to their complaints about the way they were treated - so vile and threatening!”

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”, would be an honourable phrase for the reasonable person. Sadly, our experiences prove that a minority of the membership is totally unreasonable, therefore this phrase is wholly inappropriate and will never be taken seriously. When members are driven to write not just about us, but other members as well, we believe it is as a result of the desire to attract as many people to their site on Facebook, and also self glorification. In our case it very nearly ended in tragedy.

Please could you reply to the following questions :
1. How is it that other clubs have already foreseen the problem and acted to protect their members with a sensible Code of Conduct which acts a deterrent, and yet our Committee does not believe it is serious problem?
2. Does any Committee member feel that if you cannot withstand harassment, you shouldn’t go sailing?
3. How would the Committee feel if a member committed suicide having suffered harassment similar to us, and does the Committee appreciate the possible legal ramifications?
4. What deterrent do the words of the Committee offer the membership?

OCC Social Media Guidelines 1 month 3 weeks ago #3652

• Tonygooch
Bob, you have said that other clubs have established a social media code of conduct. I assume that you are referring to Club’s similar to the OCC. I have found that the following major offshore cruising clubs do not have a social media code of conduct.

Cruising Association (UK)
Trans Ocean Club (Ger)
SAGA (Fr)
SSCA (US)
CCA (US)
Bluewater Cruising Association (Can)

I have heard that some sporting Clubs with a fixed location and particularly those that have a mix of adults and youth have created a code of conduct.

Can you please point to sailing clubs with similar objects and conduct to the OCC that have a code of conduct. Thanks Tony

OCC Social Media Guidelines 1 month 1 week ago #3693

• bobhazell
Tony
When I researched this subject in detail last year, before submitting a draft proposal to the OCC, I was landbased, and looked at sailing clubs worldwide who had established a code of conduct for their members. Those clubs have recognised that there is a problem with uncontrolled use of social media, and I hope that the Committee now accept with the proof that I have provided, that a problem exists within the OCC.
We are now cruising again, and currently I have very limited access to the internet. I find it surprising that you pose a question to me that is hardly relevant in the circumstances, but have not provided any answers to my own questions. When do you propose to provide a detailed response?

OCC Social Media Guidelines 1 month 4 days ago #3729

• Tonygooch
Hello Bob,

In your first post on this topic you said:
“How is it that other clubs have already foreseen the problem and acted to protect their members with a sensible Code of Conduct which acts a deterrent, and yet our Committee does not believe it is serious problem?”

You have said in a earlier post that the recently published guideline to OCC members which concludes with “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”, would be an honourable phrase for the reasonable person. .... but, and I'm paraphrasing your view, you don't believe that this is adequate or would deter someone determined to defame someone else on their blogsite.

You have said that you have seen Codes of Conduct published by other Clubs that in your view do act as a deterrent so it seems reasonable and relevant for me to ask you to point to other clubs similar to the OCC that have published a code of Conduct. I understand that you don't have adequate access to the internet at this time. No problem. There is no desperate rush. To my knowledge, your recent unfortunate experience is the first time anything like this has happened between two OCC members. Hopefully, after reading your article in FF and reading the OCC Guidelines, others will now be more sensitive. So, when you can, please point me to guidelines of other clubs.

I suppose that it is inevitable that disputes will arise between cruisers, some of whom may be members of the OCC. Hopefully they will be resolved as you did, in an adult reasonable manner that resulted in the removal of offensive postings from Facebook/blogsites.

You asked me to respond to certain questions. The first was :
“Does any Committee member feel that if you cannot withstand harassment, you shouldn’t go sailing?”

I can't imagine that any member of the Committee has ever thought of such a thing.

I would like to develop a fuller answer to the remaining questions that you asked that focuses on what role the Club should play, if any, in a dispute between members over a posting on non-Club social media. As part of this it would be useful to review what other clubs, similar to the OCC, have done in this regard .

Fair winds

Tony

OCC Social Media Guidelines 1 month 4 days ago #3731

• Dick
  • Thank you received: 31
Hi all,
I personally would not want to have our club to have any involvement with the social media as it is called. Members who wish to, of course, may participate in any SM group where the members happen to be OCC members: call it a sailing group of OCC members. But I would strongly wish there not to be an OCC sponsored SM presence. Yes to an SM group of sailors who are OCC members: No to an OCC SM group.
Please explore ways to separate the club from any involvement/monitoring/setting rules of conduct etc. Let those interested set things up separate from the club.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

OCC Social Media Guidelines 2 weeks 2 days ago #3793

• bobhazell
Hello Tony

A sailing club is a sailing club, a club where members actively sail, and have common interests. These are people, it doesn’t matter what colour they are, what religion they follow, what their sexual inclinations are, or whether they enjoy coastal sailing or are more adventurous. The OCC members are not asked what their backgrounds are, what drives them financially, nor do other sailing clubs ask these questions. There are different motivations, and it is a well-known and well documented fact that social media has caused suicides and immense distress when it is used indiscriminately without consideration of consequences.

From the tenor of your last post, I get the impression that you believe the OCC is on a totally different level, that we do not have members who would dream of publishing an article about the dismasting of a yacht during an ocean passage, so that their family read of this misfortune or are told about it by others, when the individuals on the yacht have no capability of letting family know in a considerate manner and at the right time, so that questions can be answered. Or the total loss of a yacht, or in our case the yacht was aground on a reef in a lagoon.

Tony, as has been proved, we have members who do not think of the repercussions that their actions cause. Maybe they are driven to keep a continual blog going to attract as many hits as is possible to generate income, and so are sensationalist. Maybe they feel that they are brilliant, they will never make a mistake, and so delight in writing about the misfortunes of others. Schadenfreude in its truest sense.

The OCC states on its web site that “We honour the spirit of seafaring by always being willing to assist fellow members”, and the Officers and Committee should live up to this promise. I guess you have not experienced the distress and trauma caused by vitriolic outbursts and in the words of one member “The stuff that was going around was truly poisonous.” If you had experienced this personally, you would behave honourably to take action to deter members from behaving in such a way in future. I assume you are a caring family man in which case you should understand the importance of the OCC helping to protect its members. This protection, interest and support are huge selling points for the club.

This is not about comparing one sailing club to another. It is all about drawing the attention of the club officers and committee to what club members have done, the damage this has caused to other members, and for the club to take sensible action to try to ensure that there is not a repetition. In my view, and that of many other members, what the Committee has suggested, does not tackle the problem head on and should do.

Let the OCC lead the way, and demonstrate to its members and future members, that their safety as far as Social Media is concerned does matter!

OCC Social Media Guidelines 2 weeks 2 days ago #3794

• PhilipH2
  • Thank you received: 4
I have posted on the OCC Facebook page re this topic. So since the Club is on Facebook then we are on social media. Moreover, like it or not blogs and Facebook are here to stay ... Until the next trend. Notwithstanding all this, Norma and I read Bob and Elaine's article in Flying Fish and were appalled by the behaviour of some members rushing to publish for their own aggrandisement rather than showing concern for the cruisers who suffer misfortunes and their families. We were instrumental in getting a posting on Facebook about a mishap in the Indian Ocean withdrawn by an OCC member who had posted very quickly, without permission of the crew and without reference to the crew. It is time to wake up to the current world which operates with less regard for others than in times gone by. We cannot expect all members of the OCC to naturally have an understanding of what is right ethically or morally. Membership is based on completing the required miles and being sponsored by a member - no invitation to dine at the club to check them out, no quiet word with others who may know them. So when people do not know how to behave they have to be told and the statement produced by the committee is frankly risible and really not with the zeitgeist. There are members who are only to happy to do others and perhaps they do not care about being done themselves but then we know the guilty parties and their egos know no bounds. Get real folks and get a code of conduct.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.690 seconds